Monday, January 31, 2005

Good, Considering

One reasonably good day in Iraq, which is a rarity recently. Apparently quite a few people actually voted, though turnout in Sunni areas was weak.

Downside: about 37 or so people were killed by attackers, despite draconian security measures (no civilian car traffic, for instance). And somewhere upwards of 10 UK soldiers died when a transport plane crashed (if that's how to describe what happened, I haven't seen reports of what happened to the plane). My sympathies to the wounded and the families.

As for further commentary, I think I'll wait until I get a firmer idea of the election outcome, how it came about, and what Iraqis feel about the results of the election.

And, of course, we'll have to see if there are subsequent elections.

But I think a lot of Iraqis felt positively about being able to vote today, and that's a good thing.

No comments:

Web Analytics