Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Not one "My Cheerleader Uniform Won't Fit"

I rarely read Molly Ivin's columns, but this one from Sunday really packs a punch.

There's a bill in the Texas legislature to change parental notification of minor abortion to parental consent. Molly spends most of her column reprinting solicitations to judges to bypass, as provided by law, the current notification rule. Here's just one:
Social worker for a 13-year-old: "She ran away from her foster home and was gone for eight weeks. Now she's in an emergency shelter and is pregnant. Her mother is deceased. Her father raped her when she was 8 years old and is still in prison for it. I knew her when she had to testify against him. I don't know if I can convince her to go back to court, but she definitely wants an abortion."
They're all heartbreaking.

Thanks to Mousewords for the liink.

No comments:

Web Analytics